Denmark Hall – UGA 44 (1901, Category 2). Denmark Hall was constructed in 1901 as the campus dining hall, with a small infirmary on the second floor. It is named for Brantley A. Denmark, an 1871 graduate who led several major alumni fund drives and planned its construction. The building was remodeled in the 1950s, and has since been used for the graduate program of the College of Environmental Design. The building today serves the Graduate Programs in Landscape Architecture and Historic Preservation.
Denmark Hall is located behind Caldwell Hall. It is attached to Caldwell through a two-story open roof structure. The primary facade faces north toward Gilbert and Candler Halls, which it originally served as a dining hall. The exterior walls are painted stucco, scored to appear as stone. The building has a metal standing seam roof.
Denmark Hall retains its original wood two-over-two double-hung windows and frames. A significant amount of historic building fabric remains on the building, including cornices on the first and second floor levels.
The remodeling efforts of the 1950s resulted in alteration of its historic character. They included the closure of porches, installation of new structural elements to create design studios, construction of fire stairs, and brick screens added to the rear to mask condensers, among other changes. The 1950s alterations were not of high quality and are worn and not well maintained today. Denmark Hall retains integrity and appears to contribute to a National Register-eligible historic district. It is assessed as a Category 2 resource.