Gilbert Hall – UGA 640 (1939, 1940; Category 2). Gilbert Hall was constructed in 1939–1940 as an infirmary and health services center for students. The building was expanded and altered in the 1970s. Gilbert Hall is named for Judge Price Gilbert, who donated funds for its construction in honor of his son. Today the building houses the Department of Romance Languages, language Resource Center, Linguistics, UGA en Espana, and Women’s Studies.
Gilbert Hall is a three-story brick building with limestone detailing. Its primary facade faces east toward North Herty Drive and features a shallow limestone portico. The multi-colored red brick is smooth and shiny with wide joints. Inside the main portico and at the basement level, the masonry walls are covered with painted stucco.
The building, which is generally in good condition, as aluminum replacement windows with insulating glass. Original windows frames may remain beneath sheet metal coverings that have been installed. The interior of the building has been substantially rehabilitated. Gilbert Hall retains integrity and appears to contribute to a National Register-eligible historic district. It is assessed as a Category 2 resource.