Research Services Building and Dairy Barn – UGA 4414 (1912; addition 1940, Category 1). The west end of today’s Research Services Building and Dairy barn building was constructed in 1912 as a cattle barn in conjunction with the Mule barn of the same date. The building was historically known as the Dairy barn and Alamo barn. In 1940, a one-story addition was constructed on the east side of barn that housed a milking parlor, milk cooling and bottling room, cold storage rooms, and offices.
The 1912 Dairy Barn remains intact and retains a high degree of integrity. Like the Mule barn, the original exterior concrete walls and metal roof shingles survive today. The barn’s nine-light wood window sash may be original, or at least replicate original character. However, the wood-sided east and west gables have been covered with aluminum siding, along with the wood window frames. The barn also has steel man-doors and overhead sliding barn doors that are not original. Today, the barn is used primarily for storage. Although the windows are in need of repair, the condition of the building is generally good.
The one-story east addition has undergone renovations. Its original masonry or concrete exterior walls have been covered with a modern Dryvit-type exterior insulation treatment with a tan stucco finish. The original steel windows and doors have been replaced with modern metal storefront systems. Except for the overall form of the building, and the consistent placement of the windows, the one-story addition has diminished integrity.