Cowart Building – UGA 4413 (1948, Category 2). The Cowart Building is located along Cowart Street west of its intersection with Higgins Road, and faces north toward the street. It was constructed in 1948 to meet the needs of the growing experiment station during a period of materials shortages related to World War II. Station personnel constructed the building from steel secured as it became available.
The Cowart Building appears to be in good condition and retains historic integrity, although somewhat diminished by the replacement of its original steel windows. The modern aluminum replacement windows are inconsistent with the configuration of the original windows but are close enough in character not to detract significantly from the building’s overall historic appearance. The building is assessed as Category 2.