Mule Barn – UGA 4405 (1912, Category 1). Located to the west of Flynt is a one-and-one-half-story concrete block structure originally constructed as the Mule Barn. The structure is currently used for storage. The Mule Barn was built in 1912 in conjunction with the Dairy barn on Cowart Drive after fire destroyed the wood-framed barn built to support station needs in 1890.
The Mule barn was part of a row of barns developed in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries behind the original Bates farmhouse. Between the barns and the farmhouse, was a group of outbuildings and garden plots related to both the former farm and early Georgia Experiment Station. The row of barns and group of outbuildings and garden plots remained present until construction of Stuckey in 1954. Today, this area is largely open greenspace.
The Mule Barn is one of the earliest surviving structure on the Griffin Campus. With its poured concrete walls, wood-sided gables, and metal shingle roof, all of which are part of the original historic fabric, the building retains a high degree of integrity. Wood six-over-six windows in the east and west gables are original. Metal roof shingles also help to convey the building’s historic appearance. Otherwise, many of the building’s original doors and windows have been replaced with modern doors and windows that are not consistent with the building’s character. Wood trim at the eave of the roof has been covered with aluminum. Original additions to both the north and south sides of the building have been removed, and only the concrete slab on the north remains.
The wood siding of the east and west gables is in need of repair and painting. However, the building is in good condition overall. It retains integrity and is assessed as Category 1.