The UGA Main Campus consists of approximately 605 acres. In order to fully digest the complexities of master planning the campus planners have delineated 6 distinct precincts into which the campus is divided: North, Northwest, Northeast, Central, South, and East Campus. Continual refinement is occuring to increase a sense of place and way-finding within each campus precinct.
North Precinct includes the historic North Campus, and is bounded by Broad, Jackson and Lumpkin Streets.
Northwest Precinct includes property located between Lumpkin and Hull Street, bordered by Broad Street to the north and Baxter Street to the south. Planned building projects in the Northwest Precinct include the Special Collections Library, College of Family & Consumer Sciences, Terry College of Business, and School of Public and International Affairs.
Northeast Precinct includes property east of Jackson Street to Oconee Street. The precinct is home to the historic spring, upon which the University was founded in 1785.
Central Precinct is also referred to as the heart of campus. Home to Sanford Stadium, the Miller Learning Center and the Tate Center Addition. Future plans for this precinct include the development of housing and a pedestrian bridge to link the North and South Precincts.
South Precinct runs from Cedar Streeet to Carlton Street N-S and Lumpkin Street to East Campus Road E-W. Formerly characterized by asphalt and automobiles, south campus--which houses UGA's science facilities--is also home to the D. W. Brooks Mall pedestrian green space.
East Precinct crosses East Campus Road and is bounded by the North Oconee River and Athens Loop 10. These former agricultural fields are now home to the complex of Visual and Performing Arts, the Ramsey Student Center, and the first residence halls built at UGA since the 1960's.
Research Park Precinct located in the Riverbend Road area and along the North Oconee River, the Research Park will accommodate public/private research ventures.